News & Events / ...
Waste Management for Your Grocery and Food Retail Business
As much as we try, there is a certain amount of non-organic waste that comes with transporting, storing, and selling food. It’s simply not possible to throw apples or chicken thighs into a lorry and sell them on.
Recycling helps grocery stores and supermarkets use the products they need to protect the integrity of their food without sending more waste to landfills. Yet, when lorries arrive with more cardboard and plastic than is manageable, recyclable waste can still end up in dumpsters.
Whether you manage a large grocery store or a small corner shop, you have an opportunity to better manage non-organic waste — and reap the benefits of recycling.
At LSM, we are recycling and waste management experts who provide a range of balers to various sectors throughout the UK, so we put together a quick guide to help you get started.
Getting Started with Simplified Waste Management
Waste produced at supermarkets, grocery stores, greengrocers, and corner shops usually consists of 60% food waste and 20% non-organic waste, usually derived from packaging. Often supermarkets divvy up the waste: the bulk of packaging stays in the store while the rest returns home to customers.
While the simplest way to reduce non-organic waste is to eliminate it completely, this isn’t always possible. You can, however, make sure recyclable waste doesn’t end up in the landfill.
A few ways you can reduce non-organic waste when you can’t eliminate it include:
- Ensuring you have the correct waste disposal bins
- Using balers for cardboard, plastic, glass, and other materials
- Providing recycling training to all staff
- Using reverse vending machines for customers
- Eliminate capital investments (i.e. with LSMs range of flexible rental agreements)
These are all items available to every food retail business, whether you run a cash and carry in a major UK city or a small corner shop in a rural area. What’s more, these action items will save you money.
4 Advantages of Recycling for Supermarkets
Recycling is easier than you think, especially when you have the right baler. It also comes with benefits for your business, beyond knowing you’re doing something good for the environment.
When you recycle non-organic waste at your food store, you can take advantage of the following benefits:
- Keep stockrooms running efficiently. Piles of cardboard, plastic, and bottles get in the way of managing the stockroom and moving products onto shelves. What’s more, recycling piles lying next to a bin can also be a hazard and cause slips, trips, and falls. When you bale your recycling stockrooms and warehouses stay tidy.
- Stop sending waste home with customers. Many food and beverage companies now use recyclable plastic to ship their goods. However, it’s less likely to be recycled if it goes home with customers. You can reduce overall waste by collecting recyclable waste and taking care of it for customers to ensure it disposed of correctly.
- Reduce the cost of waste disposal. Recycling more waste can cut your waste management bill by as much as £500 a year for small businesses. If you recycle in bulk, you may even be able to receive some money back. Recycling mills can pay up to £60 per tonne for dry, baled cardboard.
- Increase customer loyalty. Customers increasingly want to shop with businesses that prioritise the elimination of single-use plastics, and a well-promoted recycling program can be a big selling point. You can also retain customers through plastic bottle recycling and reverse vending machines.
Recycling is Simpler Than You Think
While waste elimination is the best policy, supermarkets, grocery stores, and other food businesses need packaging to safely transport and store food. However, recycling your non-organic waste is easier than you think. It often requires simple training, the right bins, and extra tools, like balers and compactors.
By taking the time to prioritise recycling, you can see benefits across your business, from increased productivity to even high rates of customer loyalty. Sustainable waste management saves every food business time and money. By using a baler you save on pick-ups, reduce your carbon foot print and minimise your waste by up to 90%.
Are you looking for a helping hand? Contact our team to request a quote and learn how a baler can simplify your recycling and waste management program.
Could the right waste baler pay for itself?
Selecting the right baler for your business can
reduce waste collection fees and actually earn
you money, by turning that waste into a saleable
commodity, baled and ready for collection.
Why a baler is key to efficient waste removal
Using a baler significantly reduces the labour involved
in flattening boxes manually and improves waste
management by compressing recyclable waste,
enhancing the efficiency of your business.
As the UK’s leading waste baler specialist, LSM supplies shops, garden centres, hotels,
hardware stores, farm shops etc. with waste solutions for various recyclable materials
including cardboard, paper and plastics etc.